Ethics month takes place every September as an ICCO and PRCA partnership
ICCO brings together professionals from around the world to raise ethical standards of the public relations industry internationally. Progress and positive action in ethical PR practice on a global scale is best achieved through collaboratively, and so the 41 national and regional associations within ICCO have come together to create ten binding principles in the Helsinki Declaration, and to champion #PRethics, challenging communications consultancies and PR professionals to Speak Up For Ethics
Follow#PRethics on social media to get involved
The Messages from the Global PR Industry
1. High ethical standards are critical for PR agencies, we rely on truth, facts, statistics and most importantly trust. Let’s educate other professionals on what those standards are and how best to apply them practically, live by them and embed them into agency culture and our working lives.
2. PR is a powerful ethical tool. Ethics needs PR in the same way that PR needs ethics. Let’s celebrate and promote the great work PR has done to promote ethics and ethical issues across industries and cultures and all the work we are doing to prevent the proliferation of fakes news.
How you can get involved
- Send us your blogs and case studies about ethical practice and the power of PR in ethical causes, focusing views on misinformation, malformation, disinformation and fake news.
- Send us your insights on the latest ethical challenges or campaigns you are proud of in PR at #PRethics
- Take one PRCA’s or your national association’s training courses on ethics: 20% off throughout the #PRethics
- Organise an ethics awareness event at your agency, bringing attention to the Helsinki Declaration
- Does your organisation hold the Communications Management Standard (CMS), endoresed by 41 PR associations around the world? Find out more about CMS here, and together let’s raise professional standards.
Be an advocate!
ICCO associations were part of a project to define the 10-basic principles of ethical practice that PR professionals should hold themselves accountable to internationally. No mean feat! We urge members that in addition to abiding by our Conduct Guideline, to also become a Helsinki Declaration Advocate.
- Sign up to the Helsinki Declaration by completing and returning this form to email@example.com
- Make your organisation an Helsinki Declaration Advocate and share best practice with employees and stakeholders.
- Once added to the database of advocates, download the logo here and display this on corporate stationary, emails and your company CSR page.
- Show you endorse principles shared by professionals across 70 countries worldwide.