Follow #POWERofETHICS and #PRCAethics on social media to get involved
ICCO members are uniting in urging agencies large and small and professionals from all manor of PR backgrounds to #WalktheTalk and to recognise the #PowerofEthics in PR across 70 countries around the world. One year since the Bell Pottinger expulsion from PRCA on 4th September 2017 caused shockwaves throughout the profession, ICCO association members are collectively uniting around a campaign that will reinforce the high standards PR practitioners should abide by and educate those outside the profession of the power of PR to bolster ethical principles across all various sectors and cultures.
The Message from the Global PR Industry
1. High ethical standards are critical for PR agencies, we rely on truth, facts, statistics and most importantly trust. Let’s educate other professionals on what those standards are and how best to apply them practically, live by them and embed them into agency culture and our working lives.
2. PR is a powerful ethical tool. Ethics needs PR in the same way that PR needs ethics. Let’s celebrate and promote the great work PR has done to promote ethics and ethical issues across industries and cultures and all the work we are doing to prevent the proliferation of fakes news.
How you can get involved
- Send us your blogs and case studies about ethical practice and the power of PR in ethical causes, focusing views on misinformation, malformation, disinformation and fake news.
- Send us your insights on the latest ethical challenges or campaigns you are proud of in PR at #PowerofEthics
- Take one ICCO’s or your national association’s training courses on ethics: 20% off throughout the #PowerofEthics
- Organise an ethics awareness event at your agency, bringing attention to the Helsinki Declaration
Be an advocate!
In October 2017, ICCO associations were part of a project to define the 10-basic principles of ethical practice that PR professionals should hold themselves accountable to. We urge members that in addition to abiding by our Code Of Conduct, to also become a Helsinki Declaration Advocate.
- Sign up to the Helsinki Declaration by completing and returning this form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make your organisation an Helsinki Declaration Advocate and share best practice with employees and stakeholders.
- Once added to the database of advocates, download the logo here and display this on corporate stationary, emails and your company CSR page.
Join the second annual #powerofethics Ethics Conference, this year taking place in Helsinki and virtually on 3rd and 4th September with PROCOM. See the fantastic line up and buy your tickets here: helsinkiethics2020.com
Watch out for our leadership briefings and ethics training webinar promotions by following the hashtag online
Helsinki Declaration Advocates, we’re encouraging PR pros to revisit the ten principles and raise standards collectively by advocating them to colleagues and stakeholders. Use the advocate badge to raise awareness and demonstrate your own ethics
Join the conversation in regular chats on Twitter using @iccopr #POWERofETHICS or #PRCAethics